Blogging is not only for professional writers. It can be for anyone! You just have to have the right mind set, and work hard. People might tell you that being a blogger can be quite challenging without talent. Please don’t listen to them! Writing is an art and a form of expressing yourself, so there is no way only talented people can do it. Talent is 1%, the rest of 99% is practice and perseverance.
Now that we’ve established that, we can talk about the process of writing itself. It is true that it might be a little bit difficult getting used to the process, but it is doable. There are a few tips you must remember, and some strategies that could help you. Here is a list. Enjoy!
Concentrate on your message & audience
First, make sure you know who your audience is. For example, if your blog is mainly dedicated to students, you can be casual in your writing (nothing too formal). If, on the other hand, your writings are dedicated to professionals, there are some specific formal requirements you might want to follow.
The essential key is to know your audience. Know what they want, know what they expect, understand them. And then make sure you write in such an interesting way that they can’t stop reading.
Use interactive and funny headlines
As long as you use catchy headlines, you must not worry about people not accessing your web page. Readers are attracted to creative titles and funny sayings. Try to keep their interest throughout the text by using the same technique. In the end, even if your article is mediocre, they are already there because of the catchy title – so good job, my friend!
Gabriela Barrington, freelance writer at one of the best essay writing companies online, believes that “Titles are extremely important. People will click on your article if something interesting catches their eyes. Make sure you have that something!”
Insert pictures or videos
Embellish your blog by adding interesting images and funny videos. Select them properly, so that they fit in the context! Post lots of colorful pictures, parts of captivating presentation slides, and infographics. Make sure you relate them back to your topic, in such a way that the reader understands how the images connect to the content.
You could also add cool videos! Use them to give explanations on the article if you feel like it. Describe the video’s content in a separate sentence below or above the video to point out what the video shows.
Know what your expertise is
You could potentially write about anything, but then you’d need to research everything. And do you really want that? Pick your favorite subject or area of expertise and expand on that. Write about what you know, not what you are not interested about (duh!).
If you don’t know what your niche is, you can always discover it. Brainstorm your blogging ideas first, write them down using a Spider diagram, and then choose the one that fits you the best.
In order to evolve, you need to practice a lot. There is no way you become better overnight. Map out a detailed schedule of your practice hours, and concentrate on the parts that you find difficult. Leave time to write at least two drafts before publishing the actual content.
Practice does not only mean writing. It means reading too! Try to read as much as possible during your free time. Before you go to bed, read at least 10 pages of your favorite book. Pay attention to the author’s writing style, and keep it in mind. It is good to have a broad background knowledge before choosing your own writing style.
Ask for help
If you feel a little bit lost, or even confused, ask for help! There is no shame in that. There are so many people who have become better writers because they got help. If you know at least one person whose writing is really good, don’t hesitate to contact him or her. Ask for advice on techniques, and make them re-read your posts and write notes on that.
Constructive feedback should always be appreciated, so be grateful if they are harsh on you. That means that they care! And in the end, that’s only going to benefit you. You are going to get better at writing using their feedback.
No, you don’t need to be a talented writer in order to become a blogger. All you need is perseverance and determination to succeed. Of course, that goes along with willingness to practice and read. Don’t hesitate to ask for help if needed, and search for your favorite niche until you find the one that fits you the best. If you already have certain knowledge that you’d like to share, do it! Use catchy headlines and attract lots of readers!