Articles from the Photography category.
As a graphic designer you find over time that you need to work with other specialists to get jobs done. You may need to get advice from a print tech or a web developer; on the occasions that photography is being done you may need a food stylist or a make-up artist.
It’s important to have at least basic knowledge of these parallel fields; not to the extend that you’ll become an expert and dispense with contracting specialists, of course. What’s needed is the knowledge to communicate what you need in ways meaningful to the specialists. It’s like when you visit France; if you learn a few phrases in French they’ll love you for it, if you just repeat yourself shouting that you want a “cross-ont” you won’t get very far.
In this post I have interviewed my Sister who is a veteran of the beauty industry and has worked all over the world. So let’s sit down with Alice, enjoy a coffee and croissant, and get a few pointers on make up for photography.
You probably remember Photocase from the promo codes offered for you our readers. Due to the high leel of interest we got from those articles we decided to tell you more about Photocase.
Photocase is a curated, user-driven stock photography library of high-resolution photos. The image gallery is updated daily and contains only quality, non-repetitive items. Photocase was founded in 2001, having over 9 years of experience on the market, and is headquartered in Berlin, Germany.
Everything about Photocase is stylish, starting from the homepage, the photos they accept the navigation, the user driven community overall feel, right down to their Help and FAQ section.
Registration is free, of course. All you need to do is take 2 minutes and complete a few simple fields and activate your account.
How does it work ?
All the photos on the website are uploaded by users (photographers). Uploaded images are reviewed by the Photocase staff which determines what photos are included in the database. All photos are available for download and may be used for private and commercial projects (such as web design, print production etc). To purchase photos or post comments and interact with other users in the community you have to register. You can purchase photos using Download Credits, the website’s currency. Credits are purchased via the integrated shop or earned for every uploaded photo that gets accepted.
Their curated collection consists of over 170,000 photos covering a wide range of themes. The search tools help you find photos by keyword or concept, and you can also filter photos by colour or even browse thematic Lightboxes created by other users. The similar Photos functions is a fast and easy why to find similar photos. Whether you’re on the Search Results page, or just browsing, you can always click the little “=” sign and you’ll be shown a whole bunch of similar photos. If you’re on the Photo Detail page there’s a whole tab dedicated to
similar photos, it’s shown just below the photo.
Photocase is organized as a community. You can interact with photographers or other users via the integrated Forum or the buddy system. You can also chat with your buddies within the website.
Photocase.com (royalty free stock photography) offers through CrazyLeaf Design Blog a 15% discount on a credit package purchase. The discount is available since today until May 10th.
The Discount Code
The discount code is : crazyleaf
Usage : enter the code during the shopping process.
Result : save 15% off a credit package purchase
Also Photocase offers another great offer through their small credit package. It can be used to test out (at a very convenient price) their services before making a subscription.
You can find out more and use the discount code on the Photocase website.
DepositPhotos is a great new and innovative royalty free stock photography website hosting over 750.000 photos with over 100.000 new photos added every week.
Some of the best features of DepositPhotos are :
- Free Trial period for buyers. This allows buyers to test the services DepositPhotos offers by a Subscription Plan that lasts 14 days. During the 14 days a user can download up to 10 royalty free stock photos per day (140 photos in total).
- Payment by SMS. If you don’t like to use your credit card online, you can purchase images by SMS. By sending a short message, your desired number of images are credited to your account and you can download them at any time.
- Bonus Images. For every image you purchase using credits, you’ll receive a Bonus Image Credit in your account. Your FREE Bonus Image Credits can be used to pay for new images at any time you choose. There are no restrictions and your FREE Bonus Images never expire!
- The Affiliate Program. The Affiliate program is another great thing about DepositPhotos . Probably one of the few if not the only affiliation service that gives you money just for joining. Other than that you are credited for just about everything the referral does.
- Pay by Credits. A frustrating thing about most stock photography websites is the fact that you just can’t buy a single image. With DepositPhotos you can. Plus every time you purchase a photo by credits you get a bonus image free, which can be used to pay for new images at any time you choose.
- Subscriptions. You can subscribe for periods ranging from 1 month to 1 year, allowing you to download up to 40 per day.
- Great prices. The prices DepositPhotos offer are some of the best you can find.
PhotoVaco is an excellent resource for every designer who needs royalty free stock photos and textures.
The photos and textures are organized by categories so it’s easy to find a resource that suits for your project. The number of categories is pretty decent, the resources is being organized in 15 categories (Abstract, Animal, Architecture, Flower, Food, Insect, Landscape / Skyline, Nature, Objects, Transportation, Miscellaneous, Religious, Technology, Texture / Background, People).
The website is pretty straight forward without complex navigation and other extra stuff. You just point to the category you are interested in and browse through the photos. If you are looking for something specific, there is, of course a search option.
The images offered for download are high-resolution and the quality is great.
The collection of free stock photos is quite extensive, with over 650 items available for download. Here are a few examples :